Critical dates for shoppers
1 January 2009
Remember to BYO when lightweight, checkout-style plastic bags are phased out.
- Retailers are starting to phase-out stocks of lightweight plastic bags in preparation for the ban starting on 4 May 2009.
- You can help retail workers by not overfilling or using dirty bags when you go shopping.
- The ban applies to lightweight, checkout-style plastic bags.
- Bags which are not banned include heavier department store bags, ‘barrier’ bags used for fruit and vegetables, compostable bags (which meet the Australian Standard) and paper bags.
4 May 2009
The bag ban is enforced.
- Fines will apply to retailers who either sell or give away the banned plastic bags.
- Customers cannot be fined if a retailer supplies a banned plastic bag to them.