Tips for handling customer enquiries
Some customers may not agree with the ban, or with the goal of reducing damage to the environment caused by lightweight , checkout-style plastic bags. This may be difficult for your staff.
How can we help our staff explain the ban?
Display notices explaining the change.
- Place the counter-top card at the register to remind customers about the ban and to prompt them to bring reusable bags.
- Use a poster for walls, windows or doors.
- Remind customers the ban has been introduced by the South Australian Government and is being applied to all retailers in this State.
- Explain that this ban is helping to protect the environment and wildlife by reducing the litter and damage caused by lightweight, checkout-style plastic bags.
- Offer an alternative, compliant bag for customer-use.
- Refer the customer to byobags.com.au