Critical dates for retailers
Stop buying lightweight, checkout style plastic bags.
- Order alternatives - see the list of suppliers.
- Follow the lead of many South Australian retailers and stop using plastic bags now.
- Brief your staff on what the new law will mean to them.
- Develop standard procedures for offering alternative bags, handling heavy bags or politely declining dirty bags.
- Train staff to handle customer complaints or queries.
1 January 2009
Only four months left to phase-out stocks of lightweight plastic bags.
- Help your customers by offering alternatives.
- Display notices about the bag ban.
- Use a poster to remind customers.
- Support your staff during the phase out.
- Thank your customers and your staff for making the change.
4 May 2009
The bag ban is enforced.
- The fines will apply if you either sell or give away the banned plastic bags.
- Cash register notice can be removed.